Bringing an interim into a business can be a daunting prospect, especially if change needs to be delivered. Below, we have provided answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we are asked by clients when recruiting with us. Additionally, we have also listed below some of the other associated services we provide to support our clients and candidates.
- How does interim management with Alium Partners work?
Since 2003, Alium Partners have provided the highest quality of international interim management services to clients across both the public and private sector. From the point that you brief us, you can expect a professional, friendly and personal recruitment service which will provide you with the right resource for your business, fast. At Alium Partners, all our consultants operate by the unique Alium Resourcing Model (ARM) whereby we assess each interim by their skills and experience and match this to your requirements exactly and understand their strengths precisely. Whether it is a leader, transformer, operator or expert that is needed, this model allows us to match skills to need precisely. For more information on the ARM model, please visit the ARM page.
From search to selection and right through the assignment, our experienced team of consultants, resourcers and recruitment support, will be on-hand to help. From producing a clear and concise assignment brief to understanding your contract obligations and payment terms, our team will help to mitigate your risk with confidence. To ensure the highest standards, we also operate the Alium Partners Quality Management Programme to ensure that both the client and the candidate are fully satisfied with the service provided.
Although interim management is now an established profession, many clients and professionals still have difficulty understanding what it is and how it works. Many mistakenly compare interim managers to management consultants. Although both are employed for their expertise and knowledge, we always make the clear distinction that management consultants will advise, whereas as interims will advise and implement – a crucial difference.
- What sort of interim roles have you placed before?
- Working closely with our sector led consultants, we are proud to also have an established team who focus on functional/capability type placements. As such, you can be assured that when placing a role with Alium Partners, we have the knowledge and experience to fulfil your requirements. Our function and capability specific talent pools include:
- IT & Technology
- General Management
- Pay & Benefits
- Training & Development
- Procurement & Supply Chain
- Police & Security
- Media & Entertainment
- Project & Programme Management
- Portfolio Management
- Business Development
- Corporate & Debt Restructuring
- Change &Transformation
- Bid Management
- Shared Services
- How many interims have you placed in my industry?
- Our expert practices and consultants have placed interims across a variety of different sectors and industries. The success and longevity of our business is based upon the strong, collaborative relationships we have both with our clients and candidates across our numerous professional practices and areas in which we have worked with. Industries and sectors we have placed in include:
- Financial Services
- Professional Services
- Retail & Consumer
- Energy & Utilities
- Aviation & Infrastructure
- Public Sector & Government
- Private Equity
- Support Services
- Have you placed the interim before?
- With over 10 years experience and over 10,000 active interims as part of our community, we have delivered thousands of successful interim assignments across both the private and public sector around the world. Although we have made many placements since 2003, we have such a large database that we can’t say we have placed all of them! However, if we have not placed the provided interim in assignment before, then it is part of our commitment to you to have met them and, using our unique Alium Resourcing Model (ARM), fully assessed and vetted them, matching their specific skills to your organisational requirements to ensure a perfect fit.
- Do you operate a timesheet system for payment?
- Yes. In order to ensure that both our candidates and clients have a smooth, streamlined payment experience while you are on assignment with us, Alium Partners have invested in an online timesheet system, ETZ. As per the terms and conditions of your agreement with us the timesheet and payment process is as follows:
- Interims must submit a timesheet, either by email or hard copy on the last Business Day of each Calendar month to the client
- That timesheet must then be authorised by the client and submitted to Alium Partners
- The interim will then produce a corresponding invoice for that month on the first day of the next month
- Once these documents have been received, Alium Partners will then await payment of the invoice from the client before paying the interim – a system known as pay when paid
- How do extensions work?
- After the initial period of an interim assignment (usually 3-6 months), many clients request that an interim lengthen their contract, as the assignment may have developed in scope. As a result, extensions to the assignment term are common and can be enacted by a simple written request from the client to Alium Partners, once agreed with the interim. You will then be provided with a Replacement Assignment Schedule.
- What is the notice period?
- Our standard terms require 20 Business Days. Please note that clients may only serve notice with immediate effect if there is believed to be a breach of contract, loss of confidentiality, unsatisfactory service or threat of bankruptcy.
- Are there any other associated costs?
- No – this transparency is one of the many reasons that more companies are using interim management. Unless you agree to pay the interim expenses such as travel or accommodation, which is a direct relationship between client and interim, the only charge you will have to pay is the interim daily rate, plus our fees – which is all delivered on one invoice.
- What are the charge rates to clients?
- With over 10 years of experience in interim management, we understand that each individual assignment is different and the importance of being flexible with our clients and candidates around our fees, while remaining commercially astute, is essential. As such, our charge rates will be agreed with you during the recruitment process to ensure best value for all parties. Our charges comprise of the interim company’s fees and Alium Partners’ fees – shown as one on the invoice to protect confidentiality. Clients must pay this invoice within 14 days of the invoice date and Alium Partners will then pay the interim. This is known as a pay when paid system and operates as protection for all parties concerned.
- What are your business terms? When do we need to pay?
- When working with Alium Partners, all clients are required to abide by our Terms of Business. These include the following areas:
- Our legal obligations and liability to you and your legal obligations to the interim
- Our commitment to confidentiality
- The contract between us, the actual term of the agreement and the term of the assignment – not necessarily the same dates. This also covers our policy around extensions or terminations/notice periods and the actual assignment schedule
- Payment – charges comprise of the interim company’s fees and Alium Partners’ fees – shown as one on the invoice to protect confidentiality. Clients must pay this invoice within 14 days of the invoice date and Alium Partners will then pay the interim. This is known as a pay when paid system and operates as protection for all parties concerned.
- Expenses – All expenses/travel costs incurred by the interim will be agreed and reimbursed directly by the client
- Timesheets – all interims will provide the client with an electronic or hard copy timesheet for them to authorise time worked
- Indirect fees – subject to our terms and conditions, the direct or indirect engagement of an interim introduced by Alium Partners outside of a formal agreement is subject to an introduction fee regardless of whether an assignment took place or not
- Do you do permanent hires?
- Yes. Although interim management is our core offering, for existing clients, and working on an exclusive basis, we do offer executive, permanent recruitment. See our Beyond Interim page for more details.
- Will many interims consider going perm?
- There is no right answer to this question. It is purely circumstantial and individual to each interim. Some, who consider themselves professional interims, will not consider any full-time opportunities, whereas others sometimes switch between the two.
- How do interims calculate their daily rates?
- The majority of interims operate on a daily rate basis and the subject is emotive for many. As a provider who specialise in executive and board level interim roles, we find that our interims range between £500 and £1200 a day, depending on a range of factors. These include:
- Relevant function/sector experience
- Location of role
- Length of assignment
- Previous charge rate
- Client budget
- See more about daily rates here.
Want to know more about setting up as an interim manager? Speak to The Interim Hub.
The Interim Hub is the largest resource on the web for the interim management community, providing advice, opinion, support and training for new and experienced interim managers.
Through the Interim Hub, you can set up your interim management business, find out how to source your first role and read news from across the interim management industry. The Interim Hub team are always on hand to advise you on any aspect of setting up and marketing your interim practice. Contact The Interim Hub today on 01737 234561 or visit www.interim-hub.com.
Contractor Accommodation Services
Contractor Accommodation Services (CAS) is a free accommodation service designed specifically to save you time and money, by sourcing, negotiating, booking and managing your accommodation whilst living away from home on an interim assignment.
Whether you need realistic indicative accommodation costs when considering an assignment or have your start date confirmed, you can benefit from their relationships with B&Bs, hotels and serviced apartments across the UK and Europe.
Contact CAS today on 0203 651 8227 or for further details, please see their brochure or visit www.wedotherest.com.
PayStream offer a range of payroll services specifically designed for contractors which ensure maximum take home pay. Whether you’re looking for an umbrella company service or a choice of limited company services we ensure that we guide you into the service that’s right for you.
Our team of experts have over 30 years’ experience in the legal and accountancy professions to ensure we provide you with the best advice in areas such as IR35 by offering all limited company contractors a free IR35 review. We pride ourselves in keeping up to date with legislation and working with our advisors and HMRC to ensure we adapt to any changes in legislation quickly and effectively.
For a friendly, straightforward approach that delivers maximum returns for minimum effort, you can count on PayStream.
Call: 0800 197 6516
Watch our Top 10 Tips for Interim Managers video
To view this video on your mobile – why not visit our channel.